Saturday, January 23, 2010

WLMS Raises Over $2,000.00 in 4 Days for the People of Haiti


Inspired by our GT Resource Teacher and other members of the WLMS staff, our school kicked- off the Haitian fundraiser on Tuesday morning by showing a slide show created by our student- run Eyeopener daily TV show . The slide show depicted the devastating images of the destruction caused by the earthquake in Haiti earlier this month. We wanted our students to have a better understanding of the damage caused by the earthquake and why so much money was needed in this island nation. We also wanted to reinforce the value of philanthropy and that the act of giving, even a small amount of money, can make a huge difference in the lives of others.

Ms. Motaung, our GT Resource Teacher and leader of this fundraiser said, "I was so distraught by the terrible damage of the earthquake in Haiti that I thought WLMS had to do something to help out. I anticipated some involvement from the students but I never imagined that the students would be so moved and the response would be so great. I am so proud of these students that they really thought of others before themselves, some giving up their lunch money, ipod money, contributing in homeroom and at lunch as well. It just goes to show you that the students at WLMS have big hearts. I am most impressed that especially in these tough economic times, the WLMS community raised this much money in just four days. What a tremendous outpouring of caring and generosity!"

WLMS responded by donating over $200 on the first day, which motivated others to continue to donate more throughout the week. The fundraiser was intended to be short-lived, as the goal was to collect as much money as possible to get it delivered quickly to the Red Cross. It then turned in an internal race to increase the amount from $500 to $1000 to $1500 then $2000.

Some student quotes from the week:

Bryce, a 7th grader ($15), said, "This (contributing money) was the only thing I could do to help. They needed food and water and a lot of people would have died. I was saving to buy and ipod Touch but decided to give it (my money) to Haiti."

Vanessa, a 7th grader, shared, "I gave $5 to Haiti because I knew that if I was in that position, I'd want somebody to help instead of putting it on somebody else. If I hadn't given the money to Haiti, I probably would have just saved it spent it on something else."

Francis, a 6th grader ($20), stated, "I felt bad and saw all the videos. I have enough clothes...I gave the money to buy supplies that they need. It (giving the money) made me feel better and happy!"

Victoria, 7th grader, commented ($3), "I felt it would be a good cause. Haiti was already in trouble and the earthquake made it worse. If I hadn't given the money I would have bought lunch."

Ryan, 7th grade ($3), said, "It (giving the money) was a good thing. They need all the help they can get. If I hadn't given the money I probably would have just spent it. The Haiti donation is more important that just buying things."

We plan to send a check to the Red Cross on Monday. Thanks to everyone who was able to help our fundraising effort this past week.

No comments: