Sunday, September 11, 2011

Never Forgotten



It struck me this week, that most of my current students were only between the ages of 1-3 when the terrorist attacks took place in NYC, Pa and D.C. ten years ago today. Wow, this is just another indication of how time moves on so quickly.

I am sure like many of you, I remember the morning of September 11, 2001 very clearly. I was a brand-new principal starting my third week of school. Along with all of the other principals in my district, I was attending a county-wide principals meeting. Ironically, we were in the middle of a discussion about emergency preparedness centered around storms. Suddenly, the Assistant Superintendent came into the room and told all of us that we needed to return to our school because it appeared we were under attack. At first, most of us thought they were putting us through a drill to see how we would respond. Tragically, this wasn't a drill.

When I arrived back at Elkridge Landing Middle (the school is about 45 minutes from Washington, D.C.), I was so impressed that the staff was doing such an amazing job responding to this unprecedented event. We made sure TV's were off (the first time I had ever made this request) and that parents had a process to get their students quickly. We also made plans for those students who couldn't be picked-up because their parents had trouble getting back home from their jobs in D.C.

As I reflect back on that day, I feel so fortunate that I did not lose any family or friends. I also feel incredibly grateful to all of the first responders and military personnel who acted so bravely on that day and the days that followed. It is their spirit, good will, selfless acts of heroism and hard work that truly exemplify to me what it means to be an American!

If you haven't had a chance to see what is being planned in NYC, here is a great video that shows the 9/11 memorial and the new skyline that will be created. A fitting tribute and memorial.

No comments: