Sunday, June 19, 2011

Asia Day at WLMS

This past week, sixth graders had an opportunity to learn more about some of the countries and people of Asia. The students began the day with an assembly that I facilitated sharing information about my trip to Korea this past summer. Using Google Earth, I took the students on a virtual tour of the places I had visited. I introduced them to the amazing Saemanguem land reclamation project and the differences and similarities in our schooling systems. I also taught the sixth graders how to say hello and thank you using the korean language.

After the assembly, students went to various classrooms to hear from parents, guests and teachers about other areas in Asia including Japan, China and some of the countries in Southeast Asia. During each session, students were able to learn various facts and create items that are representative of Asia. In the afternoon, students were able sample various foods and drink tea. The food was fantastic!

I want to thank Ms. Tanner and Ms. Healey for doing such a great job organizing this event! I look forward to expanding this event next year.

No comments: