Saturday, April 24, 2010

Guys Night Out!



Last night, I had the opportunity to attend Running Brook Elementary School's first-ever "Guys Night Out." An evening to focus on the positive power that fathers/guardians can have if they are engaged in meaningful and healthy relationships with their son(s).

It was a powerful evening! When I arrived, the cafeteria was packed with men and the beaming faces of elementary school boys they had brought with them. After eating pizza and drinking juice boxes, Mr. Todd introduced himself and the other male staff members who were in attendance. He then shared with us all, the importance of fathers and the other significant male figures who play the "father role" in a child's life. He shared this poem:

Life Lessons
You may have thought I didn't see,
Or that I hadn't heard,
Life lessons that you taught to me,
But I got every word.
Perhaps you thought I missed it all,
And that we'd grow apart,
But Dad, I picked up everything,
It's written on my heart.
Without you, Dad, I wouldn't be
The (woman)(man) I am today;
You built a strong foundation
No one can take away.
I've grown up with your values,
And I'm very glad I did;
So here's to you, dear father,
From your forever grateful kid.

By Joanna Fuchs

After the introductory comments were concluded, there was a rotation of various activities planned for both the men and the boys. Most of the activities were designed for both the men and the boys to work together, however, there was also time for Mr. Todd to talk to just the fathers/guardians. Mr. Whitaker, principal of Wilde Lake High School and I were invited to be participants in this portion of the evening. Fathers were invited to ask questions or share concerns. It was great to have a room full of dads talking to each other and sharing encouragement and advice about how to help their boys. Wow...a truly awesome experience for me.

I want to thank Mr. Todd for inviting me to participate in "Guys Night Out" and I want to commend him and his staff for doing such a great job providing this program for our community. I can't wait for next year!


No comments: