Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The Joys of Summer

I had the pleasure of reading an article by Mitch Albom called “The Joys of Summer” that was published in this past Sunday's Parade magazine. (Albom is the author of Tuesdays with Morrie

In this article, Albom declares that children need fewer organized activities during the summer and more time to relax and daydream. Wow, how true this is...He provides a four-point plan for an ideal summer day:

1.  Have a face-to-face conversation with a friend.
2.  Read something.
3.  Build something.
4.  Get wet. A pool. A hose. A sprinkler. Whatever.

According to Albom, “That’s really enough.”

The first thing I noticed about his plan is the lack of structure it provides. Can modern parents really provide no structure for a day with their children? Can a child survive with only four things to do everyday, and that’s it? Is this a recipe for chaos and mayhem?  Of course not...Refreshingly absent are a time frame and a detailed to-do list. There aren't details about who to Talk to? Or what to Build? Or how long to read and what type of book or blog it should be? Ah, freedom. Ah, choice...independent thinking...nah, impossible!

I especially love #4! It’s an item that’s usually missing from most To-Do lists (although I try to have fun everyday - after all I am in middle school)–I agree with Mitch, that having fun is critical.

As I was assessing my own To-Do List against Mitch's, I realized that I have not gotten wet enough this summer. I plan to correct this immediately. After work today, look out neighbors, my kids and I will be using the sprinkler. Yes, we are going to have some fun and get wet!

To read the entire article, click here: The Joys of Summer | Parade.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A nice jaunt in the rain is downright delightful as well!

Just may have to check out this book you mentioned. I have read the others and enjoyed them immensely.