Monday, September 24, 2012

Smart in the Middle Grades

An interesting read...
As some of you know, I have started a new phase in my career as the Instructional Director of Middle Schools in Frederick County, Maryland. I am truly enjoying this amazing opportunity to learn a new system, meet new people and to help lead Frederick's 13 middle schools through the next wave of educational reforms that is now upon us.  

One of the amazing and talented educators I have met in my new role is Meg Lee. She serves as the Coordinator of Advanced Academics for the Frederick County Public Schools and a strong advocate for highly able learners at all levels. However, as a former middle school administrator, she has a special place in her heart for those students in middle school. When I first met Meg, she gave me a copy of this book and encouraged me to read it. I am so glad she shared it with me...

Every so often a book comes along that is particularly useful, timely, and very well-written. This is such a book. The authors, experienced middle level teachers and recognized experts in gifted education, write with a flair and passion about bright middle schoolers and those with unrecognized potential. Authors Tomlinson and Doubet provide a solid rationale for meeting the needs of all young adolescents, guidelines for a curriculum that is responsive to the diversity that all middle level teachers encounter, and a wonderfully rich set of instructional strategies especially appropriate for high ability and high potential students.  

Source: Amazon Books

2 comments:

Meg said...

Thanks, Tom! I'm honored to get a mention in one of my favorite blogs!

Tom Saunders said...

I meant every word...you are an inspiring leader.