Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Caught in the Middle...What About You?

Where do you turn to get professional development as a principal?

While attending the Maryland Association of Elementary School Principal's conference this past weekend, I was asked to participate in a forum to discuss what the Maryland Association of Elementary School Principal's organization could do to attract more middle level principals to join. I was intrigued by this question and it made me think about which organizations I belong to and what benefits do they provide for me as middle school principal. This question is especially important as professional development funds shrink for administrators, but the demand for professional growth and continuing learning increases.

So, I started by listing the national organizations I belong to and reviewed how much support they provide for me as a veteran middle school principal. Here is my list:
  • National Middle School Association (Great research, but seems more teacher oriented)
  • National Association of Secondary School Principals (Great magazine for middle level leaders, but very high school oriented)
  • National Association of Elementary School Principals (The name says it all...)
  • International Society for Technology in Education (Love this organization, but it is limited to the implementation/use of  technology)
  • Association of Supervision and Curriculum Development (Great publications, but very curricular based)
All of these organizations leave me wanting more. Am I missing any organizations that a middle school principal should belong to? I feel caught in the middle where no professional organization truly serves me and my needs for professional growth and development.

So, what organizations do you belong to and more importantly, which ones give you the most bang for your buck?

1 comment:

Mr. Nunkester said...

I like the NorthStar magazine from www.masterteacher.com Contains a lot of great stuff!

Hope you have a great end to the year!

-Mr. Nunk