Saturday, August 22, 2009

Teachers in the Middle: The Right Stuff!

Without question, middle school teachers are amazing educators. Recently, I was asked to describe the characteristics of the best middle school teachers I know. Sheesh, this was not an easy task. I believe the best middle school teachers are able to:

  • Leap tall buildings in a single bound...
  • Share content in an engaging manner
  • Discuss content with authority because they are content experts
  • Use a variety of teaching strategies
  • Create a positive classroom learning environment
  • Be flexible
  • Employ technology as a tool to engage students
  • Use humor in a positive manner avoiding hurtful sarcasm
  • Demonstrate genuine concern for all students
  • Write exciting lessons
  • Establish positive relationships with parents
  • Constructively communicate with colleagues and administrators
  • Reflect on their own performance and work to improve based on their own self-analysis
  • Receive feedback in an open and gracious manner
Did I miss any characteristics? Please tell me other characteristics
I should add to my list.

No comments: