Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Allow Me To Introduce Myself!

Dear Parents, Guardians, Students and Friends of Wilde Lake Middle School,

Hi, my name is Tom Saunders and I would like to take this opportunity to introduce myself and share my excitement about being assigned as the new principal of Wilde Lake Middle School. As some of you may know, I was the Assistant Principal at Wilde Lake Middle before taking on the role of Principal at Elkridge Landing Middle School in 2001. Now, after an 8-year absence, I am returning home to lead a school that I love. I know WLMS has had a long history of focusing on student learning, a commitment to high expectations, innovation and collaboration. It is my intention to carry on these important traditions and help the school to become even better.

Today, marks my first official day on the job, however, I have been working here at the school since last week. I want to thank Mr. Conroy for his friendship, support and help during this transition period. I know he will be missed here at WLMS and the Lime Kiln Middle School community is fortunate to be getting such a good man to lead their school.

Over the past week, I have met with Ms. Smithson, the Assistant Principal, Ms. Mussaw, the Administrative Intern and other talented members of the staff to learn more about what has been happening here at the school since I was last here. I have invited each staff member to talk to me about what is working, what could be improved and what part they will play in making our school the best. These conversations are just the start in creating a collaborative roadmap for the school’s future. In addition, I look forward to meeting with the students and families over the coming months to hear your ideas about what we want for the future of WLMS. I think you will find me to be open, honest and caring. I look forward to earning your trust and respect.

Yesterday, I had the privilege of meeting with Ms. Kafami, the WLMS PTSA President. We had a great conversation about the many ways the PTSA and the school can work together to enhance the learning environment for our students. After meeting with Ms. Kafami, I am even more excited to be joining this special community.

As the summer progresses, I have plans to meet with the PTSA Executive Board and to attend an ice cream “meet and greet” event that is being planned for me in August. This activity is doubly exciting for me, I cannot wait to meet the community, and, as my family knows, ice cream is my favorite food group! More details about these dates and times will be coming soon.

In the meantime, I am continuing to hire staff, supervise the painting of the of the building, review safety issues/concerns and develop a plan to welcome nearly 500 students back to school in August. If you would like to contact me, the best way is to email me at tsaunders@hcpss.org or to contact Ms. Yetter, my secretary, at 410 313-6957.

Enjoy the rest of the summer!

Sincerely,

Tom Saunders

No comments: