Thursday, May 14, 2009

Elementary Peer Leadership Conference


Energetic, smart, friendly, engaging...
Our future looks bright to me!


This past Thursday, I had the pleasure of sharing some lessons I have learned over the last several years about leadership with some outstanding elementary school student leaders. Again this year, I was invited to conduct a leadership workshop at the annual Howard County Elementary Peer Leadership Conference. As I worked with each group of leaders, I was very impressed with the enthusiasm and genuine interest shown by all of the student leaders as they worked together to gain knowledge and learn new leadership skills from each participant.

During my two sessions, I shared what I consider are the six most important leadership traits that all leaders should have. They are the ability to be:

Visionary, Intelligent, Inspirational, Caring, always displaying a Learning Attitude, and Honest!

I also shared with the student leaders what I consider are the three most important roles a leader plays: Director, Assistant, and loudest Applauder. As I told them, the art of leadership is knowing which role to play at exactly the right time.

I want to thank Ms. Bello for inviting me to present again this year! I had a lot of fun interacting with the students from Longfellow, Manor Woods, Swansfield and Veterans Elementary schools. Working with 4th and 5th graders is always GREAT!



Thanks Lisa Boarman for the pics!

No comments: